Friday, May 6, 2011

Selma, Alabama

i went to visit my grandparents who live in Selma, Alabama for a few days. The Captain enjoyed himself along the river front but of course the day I show my boyfriend around is the day I forget to bring Captain Kidd.

A small history lesson for those who aren't sure what has happened in Selma. Selma was a big contributor to the Civil Rights movement that happened in the 50's and 60's. Martin Luther King Jr. hosted a march that began in Selma to Montgomery for voting rights. (Selma is 50 miles away from Montgomery by the way). But the Selma police force stopped them before they could cross the bridge to leave the city.
Selma was also a big spot for the Civil war. This is where all the weapons, canons, canon balls, and bullets were made for the confederate soldiers. Also a vice president is from Selma. (This I didn't know until this last time I visited.) He is the only man to be inaugurated outside of the US.

Anyways, enough with the history lesson. Here's the Kidd's adventures.
The Kidd riding down I-85

Arriving in Alabama

With the state's motto

At highway 80, between Montgomery and Selma

Visiting the Edmond Petus Bridge







No comments:

Post a Comment